Heaven and Hell: The Parable of the Long Spoons

Heaven and Hell: The Parable of the Long Spoons

... as I comprehend, there are many reiterations of this fable/parable, such as the one below, but the message never changes.

Heaven and Hell: The Parable of the Long Spoons

BY SOFO ARCHON

What is heaven? What is hell? The parable of the Long Spoons explains very well what heaven and hell truly are.

    One day a man said to God, “God, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.”

    God showed the man two doors. Inside the first one, in the middle of the room, was a large round table with a large pot of stew. It smelled delicious and made the man’s mouth water, but the people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful, but because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.

    The man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering. God said, “You have seen Hell.”

    Behind the second door, the room appeared exactly the same. There was the large round table with the large pot of wonderful stew that made the man’s mouth water. The people had the same long-handled spoons, but they were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

    The man said, “I don’t understand.”

    God smiled. It is simple, he said, Love only requires one skill. These people learned early on to share and feed one another. While the greedy only think of themselves… [Author unknown]

Sometimes, thinking solely of our personal gratification, we tend to forget our interdependence with everyone and everything around us, so much so that we stop caring about them. But, as the parable makes it clear, by doing so, not only don’t we help others overcome their suffering, but we’re also unconsciously harming ourselves, since we are all connected on a very deep level.

"These people learned early on to share and feed one another. While the greedy only think of themselves"

derek moran
This reminds me of one of the shows you did Boris, where you said we have to "trick our ego."

"We help ourselves, by helping others. By helping others, we help ourselves."

Re: Heaven and Hell: The Parable of the Long Spoons

Sue Em
However, we must all remember - it is not our will that we are sharing.  So don't take the rejection personally - just keep doing what is right.

Ezekiel 3:11   "And go, get to the captives, to the children of your people, and speak to them and tell them,  'Thus says the Lord God.'  whether they hear ,or whether they refuse. "